Getting cash with your Mastercard
- Be sure the ATM displays at least one of our brand logos: Mastercard®, Maestro® or Cirrus®.
- International ATMs may save you money. Withdrawals are dispensed in euro and are debited from your account in your usual currency on a favorable exchange rate. The amount of the withdrawal is converted at the day’s exchange rate.
- All Mastercard/Maestro/Cirrus ATMs feature easy-to-read instructions. Many ATMs offer a variety of languages, and English is always offered as an option on Mastercard/Maestro/Cirrus ATMs.
- Insert your card and select a language. Enter your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Four-digit numeric PINs are standard in most countries. Follow the instructions displayed on the ATM screen, choose the amount you wish to withdraw.
- Most ATMs do not permit transactions involving multiple accounts. Your transaction will be most likely routed to your primary account.
- The terminal will immediately process the transaction, and money will be dispensed in the local currency.
- Take your receipt. The transaction amount will be automatically deducted from your account.
- Some international ATMs are available only during normal business hours. Hours vary from country to country.
Things to do before travelling to France
Before you go these helpful tips can help your journey smooth and your finances secure along the way.
EMV & CHIP-and-PIN
French card readers and ATMs work on a chip-and-PIN verification system. Make sure you have your PIN for your Mastercard, so that if need be, you can withdraw a cash advance from an ATM.
KNOW YOUR PIN NUMBER
Never write down your PIN code on a piece of paper. If you want to keep it in your phone, look for a PIN keeper app to download.
TRY NEW WAYS TO PAY
Think about mobile and other contactless payment methods for purchases under 30 EUR, they are so convenient on holiday! More than 500 000 merchants accept contactless payments in France.
Tell your issuer when and where you’re travelling fraudulent charges can be identified more quickly and you legitimate purchases are less likely to be held up.
CONTACTS & INFORMATION
Make a record or your passport and credit card information, be sure to include the contact number to reach your Mastercard issuer in case of emergency. This information can be found on the back of your card. Keep this record in a safe place away from your passport and credit cards.
Make sure you are protected in many markets around the world, Mastercard has a zero liability policy so you are not held responsible for any unauthorized purchases.
Know the services and insurances linked to your card. There are security and travel insurances or leisure services that you could benefit from. Read your cardholder agreement to be sure.
GET AMAZING TRAVEL EXPERIENCES
Travelling to your favorite city? Check out www.priceless.com and browse the special offers and experiences available for Mastercard cardholders in Priceless Cities around the world.
Take advantage of your cardholder concierge services for assistance with entertainment, travel, hotels reservations, sight-seeing reservations, emergency messages, and more!
Emergency numbers Europe, France
Global European emergency phone number: 112
Medical France, SAMU: 15
Police France: 17
Fire Brigade: 18